Boron is a vital trace mineral that is required for normal growth and health of the body. Many disease conditions likearthritis, menopausal symptoms and osteoporosis among others are naturally managed by Boron. It is believed that boron improves the natural ability of human body to absorb calcium and magnesium.
Deficiency symptoms: Though the deficiency symptoms of boron are not fully understood, it is known that boron deficiency might cause abnormal metabolism of calcium and magnesium. Some of the other symptoms include Hyperthyroidism, Sex hormone imbalances, osteoporosis, arthritis and brain malfunction.
Important sources: Fruits like apples, oranges, almonds, red grapes, pear, plum, kiwi, sultanas,dates, vegetables, soybeans and nuts are rich sources of Boron. Chickpeas, borlotti beans, hazel nuts, currants; peanut butter, red kidney beans,tomato, lentils, olive, onion, potato wine, beer etc are also notable sources of Boron.
Boron is an essential trace element that is largely overlooked. However, it is very crucial to include boron in the daily diet to ensure a healthy and diseases free life. Some of its benefits include the following:
- Prevents arthritis: Boron is a successful treatment option for arthritis and in more than 95% of cases significant improvement was noticed by bringing about effective calcium integration into the cartilage and bone. With increase in age the bones might become weak and porous and boron can stem this deterioration effectively.
- Reduces severity of rheumatoid arthritis:Boron greatly reduces the allergic conditions that are typically associated with rheumatoid arthritis.
- Used for body building in males: Boron is able to enhance the testosterone levels in males and this quality is increasingly being made use of by male body builders and athletes. Though some weight lifters prefer to take boron supplements as it enhances the testosterone levels, making them sturdy, no concrete evidence is available to drive home this point.
- Helps in bone building: The bone building capacities of boron are often ignored in favor of calcium. However, it is boron that works in unison with calcium to strengthen the bones. It plays a very important role in minimizing the risks of osteoporosis and arthritis. Boron helps in the metabolism of minerals that are involved in bone development such as calcium, magnesium and copper. Boron also affects the hormones of estrogen and testosterone that are also related to the overall health of the bones.
- Helps in production of estrogen: Boron might improve the production of estrogen in menopausal women, bringing back their sex drive within a few days of treatment. Boron increases the level of natural sex hormones in the body, thereby reducing the need for Hormone replacement therapy.
- Ensures proper embryonic development: Boron is essential in reproduction and development of fetus though not much information is available in this regard.
- Prevents post menopausal osteoporosis: Boron can ease the symptoms such as hot flashes and night sweats that are typically associated with menopause.
- Useful in cancer therapy: Boron neutron capture agents are used for cancer therapy and in the development of strong enzyme inhibitors. Boron compounds are also used as antibody mimics that can easily identify biologically important saccharides.
- Helps to maintain proper cell membrane function: Boron plays an important role in maintaining transmembrane functions and in stabilizing the hormone reception.
- Helps in preventing blood clots: It is believed that boron can influence some of the blood clotting factors in the body. However, mores studies need to be done to authenticate this finding.
- Reduces congestive heart failure conditions: Boron can significantly alleviate the difficulties caused by congestive heart failure conditions.
- Lowers plasma lipid levels: Boron helps to reduce lipid accumulation and enables in the removal of cholesterol.
- Decreases the severity of fungal infections: Boron protects the body from a host of parasitic attacks such as Candida Albicans.
- Improves brain function and cognitive performance: Studies have shown that boron can enhance brain function, eye-hand coordination, short memory and concentration.
- It serves as enzyme inhibitors: Boron might inhibit some enzymes while serving as a cofactor for yet another enzymatic reaction.
Remember, even Elixir could turn poisonous in high doses
Symptoms of overdose toxicity would include nausea, vomiting, weakness, loose motion, and dermatitis. In some cases skeletal abnormalities are also noticed. Normally boron is easily absorbed, and excreted through urine. In persons with kidney problems, boron might accumulate in heart, kidneys, brain and tissues.